Short-segment barrett's esophagus: Findings on double-contrast esophagography in 20 patients

A. J. Yamamoto, M. S. Levine, D. A. Katzka, E. E. Furth, S. E. Rubesin, I. Laufer

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

6 Scopus citations


OBJECTIVE. The purpose of this study was to determine the findings of short-segment Barrett's esophagus on double-contrast esophagography. MATERIALS AND METHODS. A review of pathology and endoscopy data revealed 142 patients with short-segment Barrett's esophagus, which was defined as columnar epithelium in the distal esophagus extending 3 cm or less above the gastroesophageal junction at endoscopy with histopathologic confirmation of intestinal metaplasia. Twenty of these patients underwent double-contrast esophagography. These 20 patients comprised our study group. The original radiology reports and images were reviewed to determine the findings on double-contrast esophagography. Medical records were also reviewed to determine the clinical findings and treatment. RESULTS. Double-contrast esophagrams revealed hiatal hernias in 18 patients (90%), gastroesophageal reflux in 16 (80%), reflux esophagitis in seven (35%), peptic scarring or strictures in 11 (55%), and a reticular mucosal pattern in none. A total of 14 patients (70%) had morphologic findings of reflux disease with esophagitis alone (three patients), peptic scarring or strictures alone (seven patients), or both (four patients), but the remaining six (30%) had hiatal hernias or gastroesophageal reflux as the only radiographic finding. CONCLUSION. Double-contrast esophagography revealed morphologic findings of reflux disease with esophagitis, peptic scarring or strictures, or both in 70% of patients with short-segment Barrett's esophagus. Thus, the absence of esophagitis or peptic scarring or strictures on double-contrast esophagography does not exclude the possibility of short-segment Barrett's esophagus.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1173-1178
Number of pages6
JournalAmerican Journal of Roentgenology
Issue number5
StatePublished - 2001

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging


Dive into the research topics of 'Short-segment barrett's esophagus: Findings on double-contrast esophagography in 20 patients'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this