Propulsion in Guinea pig colon induced by 5-hydroxytryptamine (HT) via 5-HT4 and 5-HT3 receptors

J. G. Jin, A. E. Foxx-Orenstein, J. R. Grider

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

194 Scopus citations


Previous studies have shown that the intestinal peristaltic reflex initiated by mucosal stimulation is mediated by release of 5- hydroxytryptamine (HT) from enterochromaffin cells; 5-HT acts via 5-HT4 receptors in rat and human, and via both 5-HT4 and 5-HT3 receptors in guinea pig to activate intramural sensory neurons that release calcitonin gene-related peptide. In this study, selective agonists and antagonists were used to examine the involvement of 5-HT4 and 5-HT3 receptors in colonic propulsion. The velocity of propulsion was measured with artificial fecal pellets introduced into the orad end of an isolated guinea pig colonic segment. Control velocity ranged from 0.5 to 3.3 mm/s; mean ± S.E.M., 1.3 ± 0.1 mm/s. The 5-HT4 antagonist, GR 113808A, and the 5-HT3 antagonist, LY 278584, decreased the velocity of pellet propulsion in a concentration- dependent fashion (39 ± 2% and 47 ± 1% decrease at 10 μM, respectively). A combination of both antagonists (10 μM each) was additive, decreasing the velocity by 82 ± 3% to 84 ± 4%. The selective 5-HT4 agonists, HTF 919 and R093877, as well as 5-HT in the presence of the 5-HT(2a) antagonist, ketanserin, increased the velocity of propulsion in a concentration-dependent fashion with EC50s of 6.9 ± 0.1 nM, 37.4 ± 1.0 nM, and 3.9 ± 0.1 nM, respectively. Compared with HTF 919, R093877 was less potent and appeared to be a partial agonist. All three agonists were effective at submicromolar concentrations; at concentrations above 1 μM, there was no increase in the velocity of propulsion. We conclude that the presence of fecal pellets triggers the release of 5-HT, which acts via both 5-HT3 and 5-HT4 receptors to regulate propulsive activity in guinea pig colon.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)93-97
Number of pages5
JournalJournal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics
Issue number1
StatePublished - Jan 1999

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Molecular Medicine
  • Pharmacology


Dive into the research topics of 'Propulsion in Guinea pig colon induced by 5-hydroxytryptamine (HT) via 5-HT4 and 5-HT3 receptors'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this