Occlusion devices and approaches in canine patent ductus arteriosus: Comparison of outcomes

M. K. Singh, M. D. Kittleson, P. H. Kass, L. G. Griffiths

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

36 Scopus citations


Background: A comparison of transvascular occlusion methods for closing patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) in dogs has not been done. Objectives: To determine if clinically important differences exist between the approaches and devices currently used. Animals: A total of 112 client-owned dogs with left-to-right shunting PDA. Methods: Retrospective study. Records from dogs that underwent attempted transvascular PDA occlusion from January 2006 to December 2009 were examined. Dogs were placed into 4 groups: Group 1: Amplatz Canine Duct Occluder (ACDO) (transarterial) - 36 dogs; Group 2: Gianturco or MReye Flipper Detachable Embolization (Flipper) coil (transarterial) - 38 dogs; Group 3: Amplatzer Vascular Plug (AVP) (transarterial) - 23 dogs; Group 4: Flipper coil (transvenous) - 15 dogs. Results: The overall success rate of the procedures was high (92%) with comparable success rates among groups (87-97%). There were significantly fewer complications (P < .0001) in dogs receiving an ACDO than in the remaining groups (3% for ACDO versus 26-33% for the other groups). Fluoroscopy time for the transvenous method was significantly longer (median, 13 minutes) than for the other groups (median, 6 minutes) (P < .0001). Severity of residual flow 24 hours postprocedure was significantly less in the ACDO group than in the remaining groups (P = .0001-.05). Conclusions: The ACDO appears superior in ease of use, complication rate, and completeness of occlusion. The remaining limiting factor with this device is patient size. Until a smaller ACDO device is marketed, coils remain the only choice for interventional closure in very small dogs.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)85-92
Number of pages8
JournalJournal of Veterinary Internal Medicine
Issue number1
StatePublished - Jan 2012


  • Congenital heart defects
  • Ductal occluder
  • Interventional procedure
  • Thrombogenic coil

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • veterinary(all)


Dive into the research topics of 'Occlusion devices and approaches in canine patent ductus arteriosus: Comparison of outcomes'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this