Recent advances, specifically cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (CRS/HIPEC), offer advantages compared to the traditional therapeutic approach of systemic chemotherapy in the treatment of peritoneal carcinomatosis from mucinous appendiceal neoplasms (MAN). This review provides an up-to-date, comprehensive summary of the histologic classification of MAN, reviews common imaging findings of mucoceles and pseudomyxoma peritonei, and describes the radiologist’s role in the multidisciplinary care team in quantifying disease and in helping select patients for definitive surgery.
- Cytoreductive surgery
- Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy, HIPEC
- Mucinous appendiceal neoplasm, MAN
- Pseudomyxoma peritonei, PMP
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Radiological and Ultrasound Technology
- Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging