La genética como factor pronóstico y terapéutico en el mieloma múltiple

Translated title of the contribution: Genetic markers as prognostic factors in multiple myeloma

Guillermo Conte L., Esteban Braggio, Gastón Figueroa, Rafael Fonseca

Research output: Contribution to journalReview articlepeer-review

2 Scopus citations


The search for prognostic factors in multiple myeloma has identified the genetic profile of the tumor as the main determinant of patient survival and response to treatment. There is an association between a dismal prognosis and the presence of t(4:14) translocations or 17p deletion, determined by fluorescent in situ hybridization (FISH) or the detection of chromosome 13 deletion using conventional cytogenetic techniques. These alterations define a subpopulation that comprises 25% of patients with a bad prognosis even if they are treated with high dose chemotherapy. These patients should be early derived to more specific therapies. In the other hand, the other 75% of patients without a genetic risk factor, have a higher probability of success with conventional treatment.

Translated title of the contributionGenetic markers as prognostic factors in multiple myeloma
Original languageSpanish
Pages (from-to)552-558
Number of pages7
JournalRevista medica de Chile
Issue number4
StatePublished - Apr 2009


  • Citogenetics
  • Genetic markers
  • Multiple myeloma

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Medicine(all)


Dive into the research topics of 'Genetic markers as prognostic factors in multiple myeloma'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this