Endovascular treatment of ruptured paraclinoid aneurysms: Results, complications, and follow-up

I. Loumiotis, P. I. D'Urso, R. Tawk, H. J. Cloft, D. F. Kallmes, V. Kairouz, R. Hanel, Giuseppe Lanzino

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

23 Scopus citations


BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE: Paraclinoid aneurysms are an uncommon cause of aneurysmal SAH, and their treatment is challenging. To assess the effectiveness and safety of endovascular treatment of ruptured paraclinoid aneurysms, we performed a retrospective analysis of 33 patients. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Clinical and radiologic information on 33 patients undergoing endovascular therapy between 1999 and 2010 was retrospectively reviewed. Angiographic results were evaluated with the modified Raymond grading system, whereas clinical outcomes were evaluated with the mRS scale. RESULTS: Seventeen (52%) aneurysms were classified as clinoid segment aneurysms, and 16 (48%), as ophthalmic segment aneurysms. Twenty-six (79%) aneurysms were small, 6 (18%) were large, 1 was (3%) giant, and 39% were wide-neck. Coiling was done with balloon assistance in 36% of cases and stent-assistance in 6%. Technical complications occurred in 1 patient, contributing to death. Early clinical complications causing permanent disability occurred in 3% of cases. One patient (3%) had fatal rebleeding 18 days after treatment. Overall, procedure-related morbidity and mortality were, respectively, 3% and 6%. Complete occlusion of the aneurysm was achieved in 36% of patients after initial treatment and in 65% during follow-up (average, 29.3 months). Seven patients had recurrences requiring retreatment (30%). Clinical outcome (average, 32.9 months) was good in 75% of patients and poor in 25%. No delayed complications related to treatment and/or the aneurysm occurred. CONCLUSIONS: Ruptured paraclinoid aneurysms are challenging lesions from an endovascular and surgical point of view. Despite the high rate of recurrences, good clinical results and protection against rebleeding can be achieved with current endovascular techniques.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)632-637
Number of pages6
JournalAmerican Journal of Neuroradiology
Issue number4
StatePublished - Apr 2012

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging
  • Clinical Neurology


Dive into the research topics of 'Endovascular treatment of ruptured paraclinoid aneurysms: Results, complications, and follow-up'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this