Anti-siglec-8 antibody for eosinophilic gastritis and duodenitis

Evan S. Dellon, Kathryn A. Peterson, Joseph A. Murray, Gary W. Falk, Nirmala Gonsalves, Mirna Chehade, Robert M. Genta, John Leung, Paneez Khoury, Amy D. Klion, Sabine Hazan, Michael Vaezi, Adam C. Bledsoe, Sandy R. Durrani, Chao Wang, Camilla Shaw, Alan T. Chang, Bhupinder Singh, Amol P. Kamboj, Henrik S. RasmussenMarc E. Rothenberg, Ikuo Hirano

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

18 Scopus citations


BACKGROUND Eosinophilic gastritis and duodenitis are characterized by gastrointestinal mucosal eosinophilia, chronic symptoms, impaired quality of life, and a lack of adequate treatments. Mast-cell activity may contribute to the pathogenesis of the conditions. AK002 (lirentelimab) is an anti-Siglec-8 antibody that depletes eosinophils and inhibits mast cells and that has shown potential in animal models as a treatment for eosinophilic gastritis and duodenitis. METHODS In this phase 2 trial, we randomly assigned adults who had symptomatic eosinophilic gastritis, eosinophilic duodenitis, or both conditions in a 1:1:1 ratio to receive four monthly infusions of low-dose AK002, high-dose AK002, or placebo. The primary end point was the change in gastrointestinal eosinophil count from baseline to 2 weeks after the final dose; to maximize statistical power, we evaluated this end point in the placebo group as compared with the combined AK002 group. Secondary end points were treatment response (>30% reduction in total symptom score and >75% reduction in gastrointestinal eosinophil count) and the change in total symptom score. RESULTS Of the 65 patients who underwent randomization, 43 were assigned to receive AK002 and 22 were assigned to receive placebo. The mean percentage change in gastrointestinal eosinophil count was -86% in the combined AK002 group, as compared with 9% in the placebo group (least-squares mean difference, -98 percentage points; 95% confidence interval [CI], -121 to -76; P<0.001). Treatment response occurred in 63% of the patients who received AK002 and in 5% of the patients who received placebo (difference, 58 percentage points; 95% CI, 36 to 74; P<0.001). The mean change in total symptom score was -48% with AK002 and -22% with placebo (least-squares mean difference, -26 percentage points; 95% CI, -44 to -9; P = 0.004). Adverse events associated with AK002 were similar to those with placebo, with the exception of higher percentages of patients having mild-to-moderate infusion-related reactions with AK002 (60% in the combined AK002 group and 23% in the placebo group). CONCLUSIONS In patients with eosinophilic gastritis or duodenitis, AK002 reduced gastrointestinal eosinophils and symptoms. Infusion-related reactions were more common with AK002 than with placebo. (Funded by Allakos; ENIGMA number, NCT03496571.)

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)1624-1634
Number of pages11
JournalNew England Journal of Medicine
Issue number17
StatePublished - Oct 22 2020

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • General Medicine


Dive into the research topics of 'Anti-siglec-8 antibody for eosinophilic gastritis and duodenitis'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this