An Algorithmic Approach to the Management of Gastric Stenosis Following Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy

Abhishek Agnihotri, Sindhu Barola, Christine Hill, Manoel Galvao Neto, Josemberg Campos, Vikesh K. Singh, Michael Schweitzer, Mouen A. Khashab, Vivek Kumbhari

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review


Background: Gastric stenosis (GS) is a potential adverse event post-laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG). Endoscopic management is preferred; however, there is significant variation in therapeutic strategies with no defined algorithm. This study aims to describe the safety and efficacy of a predefined step-wise algorithm for endoscopic management of GS post-LSG. Methods: Consecutive patients with symptomatic GS post-LSG, presenting between July 2015 and August 2016, were subjected to a predefined treatment algorithm of serial dilations using achalasia balloons, followed by a fully covered self-expanding metal stent (FCSEMS) if dilations were inadequate. Patients who did not respond or opted out of ongoing endoscopic therapy were offered revision Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGB). Results: Total of 17 patients underwent a median of 2 (range 1–4) balloon dilations. Twelve patients (70.6%) reported clinical improvement with balloon dilation alone, while 3 (17.6%) required subsequent FCSEMS placement. One patient suffered a tear to the muscularis propria with balloon dilation, which was managed conservatively. Overall, 15 (88.2%) reported clinical improvement with endoscopic management. PAGI-SYM scores revealed that the strongest response to therapy, based on mean reduction of score ± SD, was in the following items: nausea (3 ± 1.9, P < 0.001), heartburn during day (2.8 ± 1.5, P = 0.003), heartburn on lying down (3.4 ± 1.4, P < 0.001), reflux during day (2.8 ± 1.9, P < 0.001), and reflux on lying down (3.0 ± 1.9, P < 0.001). Two (11.8%) patients failed endoscopic therapy and underwent RYGB. Conclusions: Endoscopic management of GS using the described algorithmic approach is safe and effective post-LSG. Patients with severe stenosis or helical stenosis are likely to require revision RYGB.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)2628-2636
Number of pages9
JournalObesity Surgery
Issue number10
StatePublished - Oct 1 2017


  • Balloon dilation
  • Fully covered self-expandable metallic stent
  • Gastric stenosis
  • Sleeve gastrectomy

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery
  • Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
  • Nutrition and Dietetics


Dive into the research topics of 'An Algorithmic Approach to the Management of Gastric Stenosis Following Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this