Standardization of Urine Albumin Measurements: Status and Performance Goals

W. Greg Miller, Jesse C. Seegmiller, John C. Lieske, Andrew S. Narva, Lorin M. Bachmann

Research output: Contribution to journalReview articlepeer-review

7 Scopus citations


Background: Urine albumin is a key laboratory test used for classification, assessment of risk, and monitoring treatment of patients with chronic kidney disease. Urine albumin measurement results are not standardized among different measurement procedures. Consequently, clinical guidelines using fixed decision values for urine albumin cannot be applied consistently. Content: Isotope dilution mass spectrometry reference measurement procedures and certified reference materials are being developed to enable standardization of immunoassay measurement procedures for urine albumin. A previous report determined calibration bias was the major error source for differences in results among different measurement procedures for urine albumin. Performance goals for between-day precision, ≤6% CV above 15 mg/L, and for specimen-specific effects, ≤6% CV, were established on the basis of the performance capability of current measurement procedures. The biological variation model was used to estimate a total allowable error of ≤24%-30% and from that the goal for bias of ≤7%-13%. Summary: A reference system of higher-order certified reference materials and reference measurement procedures is being developed to enable standardization of urine albumin measurement results. Goals have been established for total allowable error, specimen-specific effects, imprecision, and bias to facilitate efforts to standardize urine albumin measurement results.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)423-429
Number of pages7
JournalJournal of Applied Laboratory Medicine
Issue number3
StatePublished - Nov 1 2017

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • General Medicine


Dive into the research topics of 'Standardization of Urine Albumin Measurements: Status and Performance Goals'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this