Mri of pancreatic islet cell carcinoma

Blake Carlson, C. Daniel Johnson, David H. Stephens, Ellen M. Ward, Larry K. Kvols

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

26 Scopus citations


Objective: The purpose of this study is to report the spectrum of MR findings of pancreatic islet cell carcinoma. Materials and Methods: The MR scans of 33 patients with islet cell carcinoma were retrospectively reviewed. Magnetic resonance detected the primary tumor in 21 of 27 patients (78%) who had not had prior resection of their primary tumor. Mean tumor diameter was 7.1 cm (range 3.5-13.0 cm). Results: In all patients, the primary tumor on Tl-weighted images (TR/TE = 250/15) was of signal intensity equal to or lower than that of the adjacent normal pancreas. The primary tumor on T2-weighted images (TR/TE = 2, 000/ >100) was of signal intensity the same as or higher than fat in 18 of 21 patients (86%) and had mixed signal intensity in the other 3 (14%). Hepatic metastases were found in 28 of 33 patients (85%). Liver metastases were categorized as “usual” (variably circumscribed, homogeneous lesions of medium signal intensity on T2-weigh ted images) in 19 of 28 patients (68%), necrotic in 8 of 28 (29%), hemorrhagic in 3 of 28 (11%), and calcified in 1 of 28 (4%). Extrahepatic metastases were found in 18 of 33 patients (55%). Conclusion: We conclude that MRI is an excellent modality for the diagnosis and routine follow-up of patients with islet cell carcinoma.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)735-740
Number of pages6
JournalJournal of computer assisted tomography
Issue number5
StatePublished - 1993


  • Hemangioma
  • Liver
  • Magnetic resonance imaging
  • Neoplasms
  • Neoplasms
  • Pancreas

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging


Dive into the research topics of 'Mri of pancreatic islet cell carcinoma'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this