Buying Time: Long-Term Results of Wrist Denervation and Time to Repeat Surgery

Maureen A. O’Shaughnessy, Eric R. Wagner, Richard A. Berger, Sanjeev Kakar

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

8 Scopus citations


Background: This study reviews long-term outcomes of partial wrist denervation focusing on need for and time to revision procedure. Methods: A retrospective study was conducted of all patients undergoing partial wrist denervation between 1994 and 2014. At average latest follow-up of 6.75 years (range, 1-21 years), clinical and radiographic data and need for revision surgery were recorded. Results: There were 100 wrists in 89 patients (61 male, 28 female) with average age at surgery of 54 years (range, 26-80). Principal diagnoses were arthritis (58%), inflammatory (19%), and posttraumatic arthritis (7%). Average flexion-extension arc was 83% and grip strength 75% of unaffected extremity. Average Mayo Wrist Scores improved from 48 preoperatively to 77 postoperatively. Sixty-nine percent of patients did not undergo other procedures during the time interval studied. Thirty-one percent underwent revision at an average of 26 months following denervation (range, 2-165). Conclusions: Partial wrist denervation is a motion-preserving procedure for patients with refractory wrist pain with 69% in this series requiring no further procedures. The remaining 31% experienced average symptom relief for 2 years prior to ultimately undergoing revision operation.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)602-608
Number of pages7
Issue number5
StatePublished - Sep 1 2019


  • arthritis
  • outcomes
  • partial denervation
  • reoperation
  • wrist pain

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Surgery
  • Orthopedics and Sports Medicine


Dive into the research topics of 'Buying Time: Long-Term Results of Wrist Denervation and Time to Repeat Surgery'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this